Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A Better Kind of Place

I've been a member of online groups since...well, a long, long time ago...way back when they had the first "talkers" from one of the universities in Michigan, which was basically a precursor to a chat room. It was natural for me to look to the online world for support, inspiration, and information when I began to make my own jewelry. Since that time, again, a long time ago, I have been a member of many different online group, both through sites like Etsy and informally organized, as well as a frequent member on many online forums.

One thing I always found disappointing, and I thought maybe it was just a side effect of too many emotional creative types trying to communicate through text only, was that there were always those few who seemed to delight from tearing other artists down. You know, those mean girls who never quite grew up? The ones that hid behind the, "sorry, I'm just a blunt person" excuse? Yeah; insert rolling eye emoticon here.

This is why I am so happy to devote a blog post to the fact that I have found myself immersed in a group of extremely creative jewelry artists, who are all warm, supporting, and encouraging beyond belief! I have blogged already about the Bead Soup Blog Hop that Lori Andersen has organized, and in which I am participating during August. But Lori also set up a Facebook group, where all members of the Blog Hop could interact and get to know each other on a more personal level. Here, I have finally found a truly nurturing online environment for my creative soul.


We cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own.
 --Ben Sweetland


If someone asks a question, it's answered without people being made to feel foolish. If someone asks about a technique, people are offering help readily--no one is huffing and puffing that techniques should not be shared with the competition. If someone shows work they have completed, people quickly note what they like about the piece, so we can all learn what works.

I think there are way too few places like this, both online and in real life these days. I will be enjoying the next month, where I get to interact with these talented folks, and build my repertoire of skills...and be inspired to new levels!


1 comment:

  1. This is so true and it is awesome that you blogged about it. I have enjoyed the BSBP for a few years now and it has been an uplifting group. Have fun with your soup! Lori Anderson is a sweetheart for sure.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Share what's on your mind!